EB140 ?'" Manfred Kareer: Bitsquare – The Decentralized Open-Soure Cryptocurrency-Fiat Exchange
Exchanges are often criticized as a central point of failure of the cryptocurrency space. This isn’t without justification as, in recent years, we have seen a number of exchanges get hacked, robbed, or embezzled by their founders, which is far from insignificant. One proposed alternative are decentralized exchanges that would allow people make peer-to-peer trades using sophisticated smart contracts. However, there remains the fundamental challenge of interfacing with the legacy banking system.
Manfred Karrer joins us for a lengthy discussion on Bitsquare, a decentralized cryptocyrrency exchange which supports most fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies. Built to be a decentralized equivalent of LocalBitcoins, the Bitsquare client, which connects to the peer-to-peer network, uses Tor by default, which makes it almost completely anonymous. There are also a number of safeguards in place to eliminate the potential for fraud and theft, as well as an arbitration system to resolve disputes between traders.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- The motivation behind Bitsquare
- The Bitsquare client and user experience
- A walkthrough of a typical trade
- The mechanics of the order book
- The fiat currency transfer mechanism
- The current and future arbitration process
- Manfred’s thoughts on DAOs
- Bitsquare’s product roadmap
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Jaxx: Wallets that Unify the Blockchain Experience Across Devices http://jaxx.io
Epicenter Bitcoin is hosted by Brian Fabian Crain, S?ƒbastien Couture & Meher Roy.
Source: Coin Desk