167 – Peter Harris: Democratizing the Music Industry with the Streaming Music Cooperative Resonate
Support the show, consider donating: 1EkFpCoWBXi5HHTMW2e6eJp5t7odhbm4cX (http://bit.ly/2iZXeNB)
After the successful Ethereum crowdfunding campaign, musician and web developer Peter Harris saw a path to creating a fair, decentralized music streaming platform. Out of that Resonate was born. Peter joined us to discuss why the dysfunctional structure of the music industry results in a bad deal for musicians and why a decentralized platform supported by blockchain technology and run as a cooperative represents a better way forward.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- How technology changed the ability of musician’s to make money
- Why streaming platforms don’t compensate musicians fairly
- The story of how Peter came to found resonate
- Why Stream-to-Own is a better way to compensate artists
- Why Resonate chose to build on BigchainDB
- The benefits of the cooperative structure for decentralized platforms
- The Resonate crowd-owning campaign
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Resonate Website
- Resonate Crowd-Owning Campaign
- Resonate – Stream-to-Own
- Resonate – Building a Blockchain Database
- Epicenter 126: Trent McConaghy on BigchainDB
- COALA IP
- Jaxx: Wallets that Unify the Blockchain Experience Across Devices – http://jaxx.io
This episode is also available on :
Watch or listen, Epicenter is available wherever you get your podcasts.
Epicenter is hosted by Brian Fabian Crain, S?ƒbastien Couture & Meher Roy.
Source: Coin Desk